Welcome!

Hi there! Here you'll learn about all of my learning experiences at my internship, and my adventures in and around San Diego. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

It's been, one week



 I have been here for a week and just yesterday it occurred to me how fast time is flying by. For some more perspective on how I live, I thought I would provide you with pictures.

This is how I say "good morning" every day! The first picture is what I see when I open my front door. The second picture is what I see if I turn my head to the left. Pretty different than what I would see at Clark. The third picture is of some beautiful hydrangeas Jess (my sister) and I saw when we visited Old Town on Saturday.
 The past couple days have been filled with brainstorming of different marketing ideas, learning WordPress and updating blogs/websites, getting the word out about Justice In Motion Season 4 info sessions (I think I'll be going to some), and more exploring of my town. On Tuesday night, I went to a place called Beach Grass Café with a new friend and had a pretty good dinner. It was Grilled Salmon with Cilantro Pesto, steamed vegetables, and garlic mashed potatoes. They started off the meal right with fresh rosemary bread and olive oil. I'll definitely return, but I won't get the same thing.
Last night I had another culinary adventure by visiting Sushi Solana. They have all-you-can-eat sushi but I wanted to eat at home so I took my spring roll and california roll to-go. On their menu, they had the option of having it deep-fried.
I couldn't tell if that was their way of saying the fish was cooked or what, because clearly I wasn't expecting a whole sushi roll to be deep-fried...well that's what I got.
Sushi tempura. Mind = blown.
I had already gone home before I opened the box. I usually take things literally but this time I didn't and I ended up with exactly what I had ordered, and I was only half-disappointed. I was really curious to try it but a little scared at the same time. After finishing the small but tasty spring roll with some subtly savory sesame sauce, I picked up my chopsticks and plunged into the first piece. I learned that it wasn't deep-fried, but more of a tempura batter (which, IMHO, is a better batter) because it was easier to eat and, frankly, easier to understand the concept. I only say that because - imagine deep-fried sushi...like the deep-fried you get at a carnival? Yuck.
Anyway, it was pretty good! It was an odd feeling to eat sushi that was served warmer than room temperature and I certainly won't get it again (it was by far the unhealthiest thing I've had out here and will remain that way), but it was worth it to have that experience. Tomorrow is this Food Truck Festival that I've wanted to attend so I'll need to figure out a way to get there and back (the train here is awesome).

For those of you who are working, the weekend is almost here - you can make it through!
For those of you who are not working, don't rub it in.

I'll write in a couple days!

No comments:

Post a Comment