Welcome!

Hi there! Here you'll learn about all of my learning experiences at my internship, and my adventures in and around San Diego. Enjoy!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Playing The Edge

I will start my second post off with song lyrics (stereotypical? nah).


"Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb"



You got it. That is an excerpt from the hit song "All Star" by Smash Mouth. I highlight "hit the ground running" because that is precisely what popped into my head earlier today. But first, a quick note about my flight here - one of the people I sat with actually grew up with the guy I'm subletting from. What are the chances?! 
I had an early wake-up at my sister's apartment (including a homemade juice with cucumber, celery, hot pepper, ginger, apple and kale), went to get some basic groceries (milk, orange, juice, eggs, cereal, etc) and quickly moved in to my new apartment! It's literally about a minute from the beach. Jealous?

I have been spending the rest of the day exploring my new home of Solana Beach. Later today I'm going to yoga (an inherent part of the San Diego experience). I believe I am hitting the ground running because I am using this summer to embrace new experiences. My sister already told me some of what I'll be doing at J4J this summer and I start Monday. My day continued with a nap, some more exploring, and an Anusara yoga class. Little did I know that it was taught by a well-respected yoga instructor, Michael Fukumura. He started it off with a chant that I didn't know, but he also talked about breathing and "playing the edge." This theme was all about not backing away, but not forcing anything. The 90 minutes of poses seemed like 2 hours and by the end of it I felt awake and replenished - the power of yoga! I got home at about 7:40 and cooked my first dinner! It consisted of brown rice and quinoa (for health food and protein) , chicken (for more protein), cheese (well..because...who doesn't like cheese?) and a little salad with tomatoes and sundried tomato vinaigrette. All of the protein made for a perfect-post yoga meal!
That was yesterday.
Today, I had my first work experience at the office (see picture below)! I made a Facebook event for Justice In Motion's 5 info sessions leading up to the beginning of Season 4. Justice In Motion is J4J's fitness branch where they train for a half-marathon for 16 weeks. All the while, members do a ton of fundraising, which goes to causes that are determined by J4J. I also had experience with a program that I've never heard of - Meetup. For those who don't know, it's basically a website where you can find out what other people are doing at any place, any time! Each listed event is based on interests, and each group that hosts these events have categories with which you can search.
That's all I have for now - have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment